Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Summer sounds

Ten years ago I became deaf in one ear as a result of sudden hearing loss and thus joined the millions of Americans who suffer from a chronic condition called tinnitus. For the short time the cicadas were around, I finally found some relief from that constant annoying noise roaring in my head. I must say the lovely sound of cicadas has been music to my good ear.
The American Tinnitus Association is working very hard at finding a cure for this debilitating condition. Right now there is no cure. Scientists have not discovered yet how to regenerate damaged auditory nerve cells. I hope and pray they find a cure soon.

Unfortunately, many Americans have accepted the high decibel levels of noise that can potentially cause tinnitus and permanently damage hearing.

I urge all Americans to take preventive steps to protect your precious hearing: Wear ear protection when exposed to continuous loud sounds and avoid sudden noises such as firecrackers, cannons and nail guns. read more

No comments: