Saturday, August 25, 2007

Perspectives of a Deaf Muslim


Since losing my hearing at the age of nine(9) and at the same age I was taken out from an Arabic/English School I used to go to in Kumbungu in the northern region of Ghana to a School for the deaf in Savelugu as in the Northern Region. There I learned to use sign language more often than spoken language because then I was living several miles away from my family Fortunately, most of what I have learned while being a hearing had not been lost, I can still speak my native language with fluency and remember vividly all that the times with my friends.

Going to MSA meeting at RIT with an interpreter and I was hoping that one day one deaf brother or sister would start something that I can consider worth taking part but that never happened. Until I was about to graduate, then I remember my assurances to deaf Muslim that one day I will use my expertise to get interpreters. I tried to fulfill my words with them knowing that I may be back in Ghana some day, I with friends started Global deaf Muslim Literacy aims at getting Deaf Muslims educational resources and other logistics, a big dream I have longed to see, with that done, going home would give me time to focus on my own future. read more

No comments: